Friday, October 13, 2006

A Brighton Christmas card

Today, overwhelmed by the idea of another day of checking if any new channels had been added to the freeview package, I decided I had to leavet the house. I had some Christmas cards to pimp, which I designed I while ago. It felt too early for festivities. Indeed it is too early, but I hadn't done any Halloween cards or Ramadan cards, so what can you do.
I didn't really have anywhere specific in mind, but it turns out there are more greeting card shops here in Brighton than there can possibly be any need for. No doubt big sellers are the "congratulations on setting up a new cards and trinket store in this saturated market" followed closely by the "sorry your business has failed" card.
It turns out I wasn't so early anyway, a lot of carderies order all of theirs in February. Only one guy was actually prepared to ask for some- though a few did seem generally interested. A shop called Custard (totally kooky) said they could make space for half a dozen, and I was so excited at not being laughed out the shop I quickly promised all these things I hadn't organised- envelopes, cellophane packets, a professional invoice- and now I'm basically going to have to set up a whole business just to sell six cards, probably for less than they cost to make. But still, it is selling them.

Here's the design:






One guy wanted to see some more designs, and so I came home and quickly knocked out some more colour schemes, though obviously when I say quickly it took me about six hours. I wonder if he'll believe they're completely different designs. I may try and draw some more soon.




I spent several hours intricately replacing the colour halftone pattern, the dots in the background, with little snowflakes. Now that's festive. It took so long because I had to make each one entirely unique, otherwise it just wouldn't ring true.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jack,
Some might say that the colours you have used, even perhaps the design, are too unfestive to capture the attention of a christmas card shopper. But i think it is your unusual approach that will ultimately appeal to the public. As the era in which we live teeters on the brink of the murky waters of agnosticism, cards such as yours work as a cultural snapshot of the modern christmas, a festival that has come to represent a time for appreciating our immediate situation; those around us and also the city where we live.
Have you considered designing cards for other major British cities and turning this into a project with national scope?